Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hooray! 23 Things Completed

Firstly, thank you Jason for your great work on this project. I liked the self paced learning style and you packaged the exercises well.
I will use some keywords to describe my feelings about the 23 Things.
scary DISCOVERY *fun* interesting CHALLENGING inspiring confusion REWARDING
I believe libraries need to embrace new web technologies. Our business is to disseminate information and the www is rapidly becoming a major element for information retrieval. Knowing how to best apply some of these products will be the challenge. In my experience with Chisholm students, many of them find the web daunting. But, I guess there are an awful lot out there who are very experienced with the web. They're the ones who don't ask for help. So, maybe we could introduce workshops on basic/advanced use of Flickr, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Docs etc. Or schedule a roving librarian to demonstrate these tools. Rotate these staff across campuses so that the staff member and the student gets a wide variety of experiences. Some other virtual services could include a wiki for student and staff suggestions, a blog alerting students what the peers in their subject area are reading. Podcast library/web services. It would be great if we could do something digitally with our Reference collections. I believe they are sadly under used. All the best to the library team in your quest to find suitable "things" which can be applied to the library. I hope that working as a casual staff member I can keep my IT knowledge current and keep up with you all!

No comments: